
Oh hello, and what is your name?
Christine *smiles*
Hi Chrstina, it's nice to meet you.
N-no.. it's Christine.
Christy?
ChristiNE.
Oh, Chrstina.... ok got it.
*SIGH*
And so goes the introduction of myself for the past forever.
Now, I know I have volume issues when speaking (I'm constantly being told to "speak up", or "we can't hear her in the back row!" at school). Whatever... there is a CLEAR distinction between "ChristinE" and "ChristinA". And it's not just once in a while.... IT'S EVERY TIME I INTRODUCE MYSELF TO SOMEONE!
It's not that I have anything against the name Christina. It's a pretty name, and I know lots of beautiful people, both inside and out, named Christina.
BUT IT'S NOT MY NAME!
Normally I make a fuss about it when someone calls me the other vowel'd version of Chrstin(_). My favourite was replacing vowels in their name.....
Hey Christina!
Hey Den! (read: Dan). [or other name].
They'd look at me... uhhh... What's with Christina today?
I don't know, let's find one and ask her.
For a while I felt like constantly wearing a shirt that said "Hello! My name is Christine... NOT Christina. If you call me Christina, don't expect me to answer you".
But then people began thinking I was a bitch. So I stopped.
Then I just gave into answering to Christina. Although my blood curdled a little every time I did. I'd first answer to the "a" vowel, but try to correct when I was within a vocal proximity that would not inhibit my lack of volume. That worked for a while.
But the saga continues still. I was in for a hair appointment this afternoon, with a person I see EVERY time I go to get my hair done. "Christina? I'm ready". LISTEN LADY! You KNOW me! WHAT GIVES??
Anyway, I have decided on this: I am just going to answer to the name Christina whenever someone calls me this. Maybe it could be fun to have two identities, who knows! And if I somehow manage to Eff things up for somebody along the way... I can blame my alter-ego. Oh, no officer! Look at my dirvers liscence.. my name is ChristiNE *smiles*.
Yes, I see this working.
(today's blog has been written for Justin, who needed something to read at work)
I am a fan of the squishy face. Typically I would say I would like to subscribe to your newsletter but I basically already did that.
ReplyDeleteSo the million dollar question is will you actually resign yourself to answering to Christina? It almost seems like a cop out after sticking to your guns so long.
We need to hang soon. NYE was almost 3 months ago. GROSS!
not to rub it in, but i was definetely there for your february get together at jack astor's, but someone went and got all sick. but i'm sure we'll meet up soon enough :).
ReplyDeleteand no.. i probably won't answer to christina... it actually pains me to do so. and i agree... cop out! i'm not a copper-outter either