I have accomplished quite a lot lately, and felt it should be documented:
1.) I successfully taught a 16 year old boy who has multiple challenges (non-verbal autism, obsessive compulsive disorder, vision loss, learning disability....) how to count by 2's! He is working on math exercises involving money, and yesterday was the big fat toonie. It took a while, but he did it! After which his reward was a high five and a walk with me to the baking class to see what was available for taste-testing!
2.) I FINALLY learned how to do a front roll/ somersault into the pool at the YMCA today! Robert, an 11 year old boy who also has autism managed to teach me (and in a way that still allows me to keep my nerd status and hold my nose). I feel most liberated, and as if I can do anything. Who knew all it would take is a somersault (that most 3 year olds can do)?
3.) I sent my resume into the HWDSB. Holy big step Batman! Wanna know how long my cover letter took to compose? Oh, about as long as it takes me to write a 10-page essay. See, the problem is I am very wordy. I think everything is important and I have tremendous difficulty cutting things down. I had 4 people read it and provide me with feedback, and FINALLY I felt confident enough with it and just got it out of my hair. So now I have to wait. I'm not sure which is worse, the stress of perfecting the cover letter and resume, or the "will I be called?/ when are they going to call me" anxious wait? I'm doing pretty good at keeping distracted though, which I've surprised myself with.
4.) I donated blood last Tuesday. Ok, well I almost passed out donating blood last Tuesday, and didn't quite fill the bag, but the nurse said it was enough to be considered a unit (that's all I cared about). I'm not sure what happened... my iron was deemed satisfactory, no problems with blood pressure.... But about 10 minutes in I got really hot and started seeing spots. I guess the colour all drained from my face and the nurses rushed over, took the needle out, laid me back and started asking if I knew my name and where I was. At any rate, I was told to wait about 8 months before trying again, and to get medical clearance before trying that (I donated twice in high school, but lots has happened in between high school [grade 12] and now, and so the situation may have been the product of that. Blech).
5.) I was nominated for a college medal! The president of Mohawk awards these medals at convocation, and I believe it's one of the highest awards the college distributes, which is really cool. The medals are in three levels: bronze, silver, gold, with each level possessing a very specific list of criteria. And even if you meet the criteria, it's not a guarantee you will win; all Human Services students who are graduating will be in the same lump sum category that I am in, so we'll see. At any rate, my program coordinator nominated me because over the last year I have done quite a lot (which I won't list because it is boring).
6.) I signed up to attend seminars for the Literacy Forum! I realize that only I would get excited about something like this, but really... I'm looking forward to it.
7.) I FINALLY cooked the rice ALL THE WAY THROUGH! So apparently brown rice is different to cook than white rice. It's grainy'er or something. I got a steamer for Christmas and have honestly been trying to perfect making brown rice in it since January. Last Sunday, I did it! 50minutes seems to be the magic number (for my steamer, at least). I enjoyed the softness, as opposed to a certian crunch :).
8.) Alex in grade 2 at St. Mary's say's I'm a "good person inside" because I plan on playing soccer for Sports Club this Friday, and because he thinks I'm funny when I talk to him. Friday is "Clubs Day" at Virtual Y, and my club is "Sports Club". Soccer is the heart and soul of the students there (it's a very Portugese and Italian population in that area), and it makes for a pretty intense match! But although Alex seemingly thinks the best of me right now, he might change his mind when I tell him he cannot play his music with swear words for his talent show dance :S.
Uhhh... yep, that's it.
Sorry this wasn't more interesting/ entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment