Friday, May 29, 2009

Special Olympics and My Ford Escort Memorial

On Tuesday of this past week, I went with Parkview to Saltfleet High School to the HWDSB Special Olympics. Best.Day.Ever.!...

.... Minus the cold and wind, of course. It may not have been so bad if I had actually watched the weather on the news and dressed properly for it. Oh, wait... I DID! Dear Weather People around the world: STOP LYING TO US! WE'RE ON TO YOU! None else on earth gets paid to lie to the viewing public on a daily basis! Anyway, it was the only disappointment about the day.

So the events the students participated in were not your typical olympic sports. They competed in events such as tossing a basketball into garbage two meters away, they kicked soccer balls into nets, shot hockey pucks into nets, completed obstacle courses, and ended the day with a series of 100m dash races.

They were so happy that, day , and I was so proud of them. Their behaviour was out of this world (haha, an accomplishment in and of itself!), and their participation was commendable. Everyone who participated in each event got a different coloured ribbon, and some of them wore these ribbons pinned on their shirts as proud as if they were real olympic medals (and this is what I mean when I speak of the satisfaction and happiness you can derive from such simple things in life).

Awesome day!


Finally,
RIP Ford Escort. I loved you, even though I also hated you. I will miss your perpetually semi-deflated tires, your lack of musicality (i.e. cd player OR cassette player... just commercial-filled radio), your rusty sides, your winter frozen breaks, the way you always fish-tailed when there was even just a dusting of snow on the ground. I will miss how I could only open the doors from the drivers side, and how I often drove into snow banks because of your weightlessness. Most of all, I will miss how you made me the geekiest friend when it was my turn to drive places (you know, because you were the wagon version and all). Enjoy that big highway in the sky :-(.

No comments:

Post a Comment