I didn't know I liked pumpkin spice'd products this much until this year. Actually, I have never given pumpkin spice'd anything a try until this year... I've always thought nothing in particular of it. And then I thought... mmmmm Pumpkin Spice Latte (@ Second Cup) and thought, YEAH! PUMPKIN SPICE! Well, in recent weeks I have consumed many pumpkin spice products including a coffee, a latte (ok.. two latte's), a muffin, and a scone. I thoroughly enjoy festive/seasonal treats.
Autumn 2010 has proven to be quite wonderful so far. Weather-wise, we've had so many gorgeous, sunny, WARM days, and a reasonable amount of rain. No one can complain about the colours which currently flood the landscape of the city (it's best enjoyed from the top of the Dundas Valley Gorge, or the mountain brow). Bright yellow's and orange's... a touch of red here and there.... I just love it. They are going to be the best scenery to take in during the half-marathon, which is just 7 days away now. I've been so, so lucky to work at Parkview and Glenwood most days of the entire school year so far, with great days also at schools elsewhere here and there (Sherwood in particular. I was there this past Monday and had the greatest day with three students who have Downs Syndrome. Lucas [who was Luke Skywalker for Halloween] was really not having much of the gym activity for that day, and faked being sick {note, Lucas uses sign language to communicate, and it was a bit humourous to see him telling us how sick he was}. When we got back to our regular classroom after gym {where he sat on the side pouting the entire period}, his teacher said she would write a note home to tell Lucas' mum that he wasn't feeling well, but then! MIRACULOUSLY! Lucas was ok! And when Ms. Grilli asked him if he was playing a trick on us, he proudly and loudly managed to say "YEEEEEEEESSSS!" Good one Lucas!}.
I worked at Parkview three days this week. A big bunch of grade 9's think I'm "the shit" because "Miss.... no one else will catch on to our stuff like you do. None of the other teachers get it, they don't like to have fun like you. It's dope! I wanna be in your group for everything!". I think this is kind of a lot awesome because it means that 1) I'm doing a good job at getting these students stoked for learning and school, and 2) they like me.. they really like me!, and 3) they want to come back! One of the biggest factors for truancy and lack of motivation for the students at Parkview is that the work is such a challenge for them (mainly reading, among other things) and they QUICKLY become discouraged by it. They have been known to give up fairly easily as soon as something which is not "easy" confronts them. But when you make the work fun and interesting and set them up for success, they really love it and look forward to coming to class (all of their classes) each day. They become more driven to obtain their credits and eventually their diploma. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WORKING AT PARKVIEW <3 . Yesterday I gave William a present.... A red plaid insulated work coat. He was excited on many levels: 1) it fit him {note: William enjoys food and often many of the donations of clothing that come through the school aren't suited for him}. 2) "THIS IS AWESOME! Now I have one just like my Dad!!! {this reaction made me so happy for him. I am glad he got to have the coat, which used to be my Grandpa's, but he never wore}. William wore the jacked in the Haunted House (and subsequently sweated his butt off in it, haha), and then to the dance at Sir Allan McNab later that afternoon. I have been bringing in donations by the basket load for the past couple weeks and have noticed some of the students wearing items I have brought in. "Are those REAL Croc's Miss?" {this student was SO, SO, SO, excited to have REAL Crocs!}. I am glad these items are getting a "second life", and making kids so happy at the same time.
I am starting a LTO of indefinitely length at Glenwood on Monday. I like Glenwood quite a lot! It's a close second behind Parkview, so if I was going to have to stay anywhere other than Parkview for an extended period of time, this would be my choice. I am going to be in one of the behaviour rooms. The students here are all verbal, save for one, and have stronger academic skills. At the same time, it's a behaviour room for a reason.... When something triggers these students, they just explode. It's a challenging assignment, but I am looking forward to all of it. Wait 'til Sydney finds out I (she calls me "Kristin" because she doesn't like the "tine" part of "Christine" for whatever reason, haha) am going to be in her room everyday now. OH BOY!
Road 2 Hope is just 7 days away! Just before I began writing this entry, I had completed my last long run before the race in one week. Breeann and I met (sans Julie. FEEL BETTER SOON JULIE!, sans Kathy. GOOD LUCK FOR THE MARINE CORPS MARATHON TOMORROW KATHY!, and sans Steve. STEVE, WHERE ARE YOU?) for an 8k run along the last portion of the half-marathon course. It goes along Beach Blvd (the same as Around the Bay) to just before the lift bridge, then along the beachside path to just slightly past Wild Water Works and back to our cars, which was parked at the Lakeland Pavilion (right beside Hutch's). This was our first "cold" day... I had to wear my vest and gloves! It felt GREAT though! I am feeling really confident for this race. I kept a very diligent running schedule throughout the hot of summer (WHICH WASN'T EASY!!) and haven't missed or skipped a training day since May! Running in the trails all spring and summer has made me SO strong and a whole lot faster! I think I can attribute my increased speed, also, to running with Katy, Don, and Julie.... Here's a tip for any of you who are interested: Running with runner's who are faster than you, in trails you are unfamiliar with, is a good thing if you want to get faster, BECAUSE you HAVE to keep up if you don't want to get lost in there!! I learned a lot from these three during our running talks through the Ancaster trails and I am definitely better because of it. How LUCKY for me! I hope they all get something out of it too, haha.
Just one last note to share. On January 18th I will be travelling to Haiti with 10 other individuals, organized by Esther Pauls, and I'm SOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to it! The trip will last 8 days, and will involve mission work, sight-seeing, and putting on a 10k road race for the Haitian people. I do not think it is going to be easy at all. But I feel called there in a way. I feel like I can bring quite a lot to this adventure, and I could take away so much more, to my students, to my friends and colleagues, to my family, and to my whole life. I a looking forward to experiencing life from a perspective that is so starkly different from the one I am familiar with. I am also looking forward to meeting some of the children there, and sharing some special toys and tokens with them. I am excited for January!!!!
Things that are fun? Seasonal blog backgrounds :).
Next time I'll write about something less self-indulgent and more thought provoking.
No comments:
Post a Comment