"Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves". ~Abbé Dimnet, Art of Thinking, 1928
Earlier in the month, I had met with Lexi at My Dog Joe's before running one Thursday. She had offered to tell me everything she knew about the York University Teachers College Interview, and I graciously accepted the offer. Lexi was tremendously helpful to me, having successfully completed the interview just a few years ago.
I reviewed these notes for weeks, and considered what I might add to them, reflecting on my own thoughts and considering the framework of my experience repertoire. I thought about the experiences I wanted to speak to in the 5-minute "spiel" I had to deliver at the start of the interview, and make known my reasons for wanting to become a teacher. I practiced on Julie, Kathi, and Breeann (some of the strongest and most intelligent women I know) during our coffee talk get together on Wednesday. I did what I needed to do to be prepared for my interview.
My level of nervous remained static throughout this week. It didn't magnify as the days drew nearer, but it didn't dissipate either. It was the same level of nervous all week,which I'm taking as a good thing. I didn't barf my guts out, a big bonus in my books.
Surprisingly, I didn't not screw up the directions, and arrived at York with but only one glitch (a left turn rather than a right at Finch... easily corrected). I arrived an hour and a half earlier than my interview was scheduled for, which is exactly what I planned.... Better to be there and wait than to just make it in with a lot of worry. I walked around campus (HOLY EINSTEIN, IT'S GIGANTIC!) and finally found a cozy nook where I could review my notes and calm myself (meditate?) before making my way to 128 Winters College to check in.
Once I did check in, it was a speedy process. I was told to wait down the hall in room 117. I walked into a classroom full of candidates, all there for the same reason. An interviewer would call a candidates' name, and they would lead them to their interview room. I waited only about 10 minutes before it was my turn.
The actual interview was short, consisting of just 5 questions on the topics of equity, current issues in education, describing the skills and abilities I have that will make me a good teacher and colleague, a case situation where I developed effective strategies which helped a challenging student to succeed, and one other which escapes me at the moment (truly, it's all a blur right now!). My two interviewers made me feel very comfortable and unjudged. I answered each question to the best of my knowledge and capabilities, under tremendous pressure. They wrote down every word I said.
In a flash it was over. All the anticipation, preparation, and anxiety expended over the last month was over in an exchange of words and ideas lasting a mere 20-minutes. Short and sweet, and a little different from what I was expecting.
I'm glad it's over. Now we play the waiting game (again) until early April. By that time, I should be completely grey.
Mac had Tim Horton's on campus. York has Second Cup. It could be enough to sway me.
(not really).
I reviewed these notes for weeks, and considered what I might add to them, reflecting on my own thoughts and considering the framework of my experience repertoire. I thought about the experiences I wanted to speak to in the 5-minute "spiel" I had to deliver at the start of the interview, and make known my reasons for wanting to become a teacher. I practiced on Julie, Kathi, and Breeann (some of the strongest and most intelligent women I know) during our coffee talk get together on Wednesday. I did what I needed to do to be prepared for my interview.
My level of nervous remained static throughout this week. It didn't magnify as the days drew nearer, but it didn't dissipate either. It was the same level of nervous all week,which I'm taking as a good thing. I didn't barf my guts out, a big bonus in my books.
Surprisingly, I didn't not screw up the directions, and arrived at York with but only one glitch (a left turn rather than a right at Finch... easily corrected). I arrived an hour and a half earlier than my interview was scheduled for, which is exactly what I planned.... Better to be there and wait than to just make it in with a lot of worry. I walked around campus (HOLY EINSTEIN, IT'S GIGANTIC!) and finally found a cozy nook where I could review my notes and calm myself (meditate?) before making my way to 128 Winters College to check in.
Once I did check in, it was a speedy process. I was told to wait down the hall in room 117. I walked into a classroom full of candidates, all there for the same reason. An interviewer would call a candidates' name, and they would lead them to their interview room. I waited only about 10 minutes before it was my turn.
The actual interview was short, consisting of just 5 questions on the topics of equity, current issues in education, describing the skills and abilities I have that will make me a good teacher and colleague, a case situation where I developed effective strategies which helped a challenging student to succeed, and one other which escapes me at the moment (truly, it's all a blur right now!). My two interviewers made me feel very comfortable and unjudged. I answered each question to the best of my knowledge and capabilities, under tremendous pressure. They wrote down every word I said.
In a flash it was over. All the anticipation, preparation, and anxiety expended over the last month was over in an exchange of words and ideas lasting a mere 20-minutes. Short and sweet, and a little different from what I was expecting.
I'm glad it's over. Now we play the waiting game (again) until early April. By that time, I should be completely grey.
Mac had Tim Horton's on campus. York has Second Cup. It could be enough to sway me.
(not really).
Congrats on what looks like a successful interview. I will say a small prayer so your hair retains its coulour. ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Justin, haha. I found 5 new grey strands last week, but it might also be due to working with teenagers.
ReplyDelete