
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thanksgiving is this coming weekend, and I thought that I should take inventory of all the things I am grateful for and lucky to have in my life.
1. My sister (without you I honestly and truly do not know where I'd be. I love you).
2. My parents (because you let me live at home rent free, and sometimes you still do my laundry).
3. For Granny (who will be 90 this December and is "still good in the head" [her words, not mine])
4. My friends (for supporting me in absolutely everything I do, unconditionally, and for always encouraging me to do my best and to pursue these crazy, ambitious ideas I always get).
5. Running (for keeping me sane, grounded, challenged,and healthy)
6. The physical ability to run (minus what I think is a minor pulled groin at the moment :S)
7. Each and every one of the children I have met and worked with over the last year at placements and at camp (They have taught me and given me so much that I will never be able to repay, but will take with me wherever I go in my career)
8. My co-workers at camp, who, luckily for me, have turned to be some of the greatest girls I will ever know. I appreciate everything you give me.
9. Baby kitty Herman and much bigger kitty Leo (even though you get fur on everything I own and make me sniff and sneeze and scratch my eyes, I love you and think you are both the cutest kitties in the world. I would still like a dog though)
10. For the HWDSB thinking I'm good enough to be hired.
11. For getting to see both Sarah Brightman AND Dave Matthews Band within the same year.
12. For being done school (at least for a little while), and for winning the college medal at grad.
13. For potentially being able to take a trip this year. To anywhere.
14. For Muskoka and my cottage
15. For Lorena <3
16. For the green Escort that died in May (you lived a good life and brought us on many adventures)
17. For new Chevy Optra (because you have a working heater/air conditioner and a cd player)
18. For every mistake I made this year (and subsequently, every lesson I learned from it)
19. For every piece of success I had this year.
20. For Reach for the Rainbow
21. For music
22. For all the new people I met this year
23. For remembering and using sign language so well the week I had Wilson
24. For coffee (in particular, hazelnut coffee, and cafe mocha's, if only for the whip cream)
25. For coffee dates at Starbucks with Smurfette <3
26. For Parkview <3
27. For living in Canada
28. For Flight of the Concords
29. For learning how to make some really yummy food (among this: cream of asparagus soup and sauerkraut)
30. For surprise phone calls from people I don't get to see or talk to that much
I don't think I included everything, but it's a pretty good list anyway.
On a different note: I might be going to Haiti in the spring. So Esther Pauls, who with her husband is co-owner of both of the Runner's Den stores in Hamilton, invented the Road 2 Hope marathon (and half-marathon, and 10k and 5k races). The Hamilton races serve as a fundraiser for two organizations: City Kidz (in Hamilton), and The Joy and Hope of Haiti (here, the money goes to assist the Haitians in repairing their infrastructure and building schools for the young people to learn at and make lives for themselves). Well last year was the first year they brought the race to actual Haiti. It was just a 10k, but for the people there it was like the Olympics! Esther brought with her 20 Canadians (all from the Hamilton area) to help organize and run the race, and they later toured Haiti to volunteer. They are doing it again, and I might be lucky to be among the Canadian's going (hopefully). For me, this would be an experience of a life time, and I REALLY hope things work out for me. I don't care if I need big needles, I want to go and to help the people there. I would be so happy if I get to do this. (Learn more about it by watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIk6gX2IONk&feature )
Hope you all have a beautiful Thanksgiving
XO
Christine
No comments:
Post a Comment